Below is a compilation of properly sourced information of what many of the major religions believe today concerning salvation. Followed by this is a data chart that shows how people were saved in the days of the 1st Century church. How close or how far apart are religions today from the biblical record?
The Catholic Church
- We are Inheritors of original sin and all its consequences.
- The saving grace won by Jesus is offered as a free gift to us through:
- Salvation is by grace alone, all that is left for us is to accept the gift through:
- The Sinner’s Prayer
Source: Their official site: sbc.net
- A general (i.e. for all) atonement is given by:
Source: Their official site: generalbaptist.com
- We are born depraved of good but can be saved by two conditions:
Source: Their official site: abaptist.org
Pentecostal Church of God
- Salvation made possible through:
- Baptism is commanded but only as a symbol of one’s identification with Christ.
Source: Their official site: pcg.org
United Pentecostal Church*
*Often under a different name like “Cornerstone Church” or “New Life Church”.
- Salvation is made possible by the grace of Christ through
- Water baptism as a symbol of death.
- Holy Spirit baptism (as a symbol of resurrection) with the initial sign of tongue speaking.
Source: Their official site: upci.org
Assemblies of God
- We are born in sin but can obtain salvation through:
- Call on the name of the Lord in prayer.
Source: Their official site: ag.org
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries
- We are born with a sin nature but can be sanctified through:
Source: Their official site: jms.org
The Salvation Army
- We are born with inherited sin but by the grace of Christ we can be saved through:
- Regeneration by the Holy Spirit
Source: Their official site: salvationarmyusa.org
Seventh Day Adventist
- By grace we can be recreated through:
- Being led by the Holy Spirit to sense our need.
Source: Their official site: adventist.org
The Wesleyan Church
- “We are saved by God’s grace simply when we have faith in His Son” and:
- Acknowledge our sin
- The Sinner’s Prayer
Source: Their official site: wesleyan.org
United Methodist Church
- Salvation is through the process of justification:
- Expect to receive assurance from the Holy Spirit.
Source: Their official site: umc.org
The Presbyterian Church
- We are born sinful but can be redeemed by the grace of Christ and our:
- Prayer of faith
Source: Their official site: pcaac.org
BUT WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?